Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Can I change my mind?

You are free to alter your will at any time. If your circumstances change, you can and should consider changing your will. If you marry it is very important that you make a new will.

However, you cannot simply make an alteration by, for instance, crossing something out in the original will and writing in your new wishes.

If the alterations are minor, your can help you make a codicil (a separate document in which you change a provision in your will), but it is usually better to make an entirely new will unless the change is very simple. A codicil must be signed in the presence of two witnesses, in the same way as the original will.
Also in the newsletter:
Landlord and tenant: Renting laws have been rewritten
Rising seas: Protecting the beachhouse
Breaking the contract: When employee can’t just walk away

Search our pages

Looks through all our web pages: